Open top menu
Wednesday, October 15, 2014


Last night BET aired the annual Hip Hop Awards and TBQH the only thing worth mentioning was The Cyphers. There were sooo many great new artists emerging into the spotlight but I'm gonna discuss my faves of the night.


Queen Detroit Che is without a doubt the female Kendrick Lamar. She gave us everything that Jesus intended for her to bestow upon us and a blessing was indeed reaped. I felt her part the Red Sea, walk on water, then turn it into wine from whence we all drank. All in one majestic moment during her Cypher. Not only was her flow sick but she's socially conscious. DAWG! All of these so called role models out here "overlooking" Ferguson and "bypassing" our struggles. But not Detroit Che. Nope. This Queen is wise beyond her years and ready to take over Hip Hop. Salute!

Cop her mixtape "Noah" on datpiff: Noah


Logic is a biracial butterfly that spread his wings and took flight last night. I mean, as fast as he was rapping he had to have wings. I was here for every bit of it. He served shade, lyricism, and social consciousness all on one beautiful platter.  I can't even find an artist to compare him to so SLEIGH.

His album "Under Pressure" is out on iTunes now so go ahead and support talent! Under Pressure


"Cause I'll be damned if the only Latin rapper is Joseline Hernandez."

That line followed by the face and head scratch was everything! Top that with the fact that Sno Tha Product spit in both English and Spanish FLAWLESSLY...I'm floored. I was online finding all of her work. Poor Joseline. She's just officially been deemed irrelevant.

Go get Sno Tha Product's "Unorthodox" on iTunes now! Unorthodox


Last but not least was Murder Mook. He came for NECKS! I know Drake was watching him spit like 


I'm sure he pissed off many people, much like my man Kendrick, but I also saw all of the respect as artists stood for him. He "murdered" it. Literally.

Check out his latest single "Preach" on iTunes now! Preach

The Hip Hop Awards will play on a constant and agonizing loop on BET for the next month I'm sure. So if you missed it you'll have a plethora of opportunities to catch it again. If you don't want to sit through it head over to bet.com or YouTube and watch The Cyphers. Oh and check out the "I Wanna Be Down" remix 20 years later. Black truly doesn't crack.


Natasha Marie


Natasha Marie
Written by Natasha Marie

Don't misplace your hate, help your fave. Tweet shade-free opinions to @iamnatashamarie.

0 comments