Open top menu
Sunday, October 26, 2014

Let me take a step back to September 2nd and talk about this here Young Jeezy album. This is his seventh studio album and what he calls his "most honest and revealing" album of his career. This might be true, I'm not disputing this, but how is the music? When facing off with his previous work...where does it stack up? I actually like the album. Mike Will Made It had a hand in it so that for sure gets the green light from me. The album exudes the charming appeal of when you make it out of the hood...but not via Corporate America. Jay Wayne Jenkins has enough money to know what creme brulee is but can't pronounce it. Oh. Lest we forget, Jeezy has released the "Young" from his moniker which brings nothing but joy to my spirit. 
Here are my thoughts:

The best track, without a doubt, features Jay Z who said he shed tears when writing this verse. If that's the case I insist that from here on out everybody needs to be on some Drake shit in the studio. Make it rain. I know this track features the two of them reminiscing about their trapping days but I mean tears. Dassit. I've always come to expect some hard hitting bangers on a Jeezy album. Not necessarily a track with lyrical value but one that I can get ratchet to, especially in my car. This album for sure gives me that with "Seen It All", the title track, "Me Ok", and "What You Say".
I'm thankful that he brought Boosie Bad Azz back from the sad and sullen abyss that was prison. I'm from the south, yes Florida is the south, and I looooooooooove ignant ass ratchet ass music that makes absolutely no damn sense lyrically. And if it has a dance to go along with it?!? YAAASSSSSSSSSSS! Although...Boosie mentioned not being there for his daughter when she started her cycle...
On another great note, pears must have all types of magical properties. Rick Ross also has a feature on this album so pears obviously do more than help one lose weight. I'm assuming they make you secrete joy. Or maybe being able to breath normally makes him happy but either way their beef is obviously squashed or headed in the right direction. I will admit that "War Ready" from "Mastermind" is a better track but "Beautiful" is an honorable follow up (The Game is also on the track). I'm always here for reconciliations (well except for Iggy and Snoop) so
My least favorite song has to be "No Tears" and that is solely because my niece Future is howling on the track. A close second is the "Been Getting Money" collab with Akon. What happened to the good ole days when he was locked up and they wouldn't let him out? I'm sick and damn tired of his mediocre appearance on all these albums. On the flip side I'm LOVING August Alsina on "Fuck The World". His New Orleans swag gives this track life. 

"Holy Ghost" is the life of this album, essential to it's existence. I, personally, am more partial to the remix, but only because of the King Kendrick cameo but the original is still more than sufficient. Please, Lord, forgive him/You know he got that thug in him/We lust for alcohol and we love women/And nobody gave us nothin', so we drug dealin'. It's raw, real, and without the legal repercussions that came along with the remix.
One thing is for sure: I will NEVER EVER get tired of Jeezy saying "That's riiiiight!" in the background of a track. As a whole this is probably the most consistent album I have seen from him to date. Album releases from a hip hop veteran nowadays tend to be inherently depressing, with sales on a scale from zero to flop, and having little to no impact on Billboard charts while mercilessly struggling for relevance. Jeezy changed the game a little with a debut of 121k and landing the number two chart position on the 200. Not half as well as the past but certainly better than most his peers...which isn't saying much.
"Seen it All: The Autobiography" is online and in stores now!

Natasha Marie


Natasha Marie
Written by Natasha Marie

Don't misplace your hate, help your fave. Tweet shade-free opinions to @iamnatashamarie.

0 comments