Open top menu
Tuesday, December 9, 2014

What's the price for a black man life?
I check the toe tag, not one zero in sight
I turn the TV on, not one hero in sight
Unless he dribble or he fiddle with mics

It's here folks. "2014 Forest Hills Drive". No singles, no features, just J Cole: raw and real. What I love about his music is that there is ALWAYS a message. Always. He is much like Tupac in that way. He isn't into fads. He's just about reaching the masses with his music and providing a positive message. No gimmicks. MISSION. ACCOMPLISHED. This album gives us a cool ass vibe, with blink and miss choruses, and the reemergence of real hip hop. Welcome to J Cole's world.
"2014 Forest Hills Drive" is J Cole's diary, named for his childhood home in North Carolina, and filled with his most personal thoughts and opinions...especially about other artists. YAAASSSSSS YOU BETTER COME FOR IGLOO AUSTRALIA!!! FINALLY! Somebody gives us the real. I'm so tired of people tip toeing around T.I.'s rap crisis who is parroting lyrics she knows naught of. And to do it so eloquently. Snoop was doing too much. Azealia Banks was doing too much. But J Cole hit the nail on the head! History repeats itself and that's just how it goes/Same way that these rappers always bite each other flows/Same thing that my nigga Elvis did with Rock n Roll/Justin Timberlake, Eminem, and then Macklemore/While silly niggas argue over who gone snatch the crown/Look around my nigga white people have snatched the sound/This year I'll probably go to the awards dappered down/Watch Iggy win a Grammy as I try to crack a smile...
If you love Jermaine's style then you will love this album. Without a doubt. It's true to who he is as an artist. If you're looking for some club bangers then you're barking up the wrong tree. It's not all solemn though that is the general direction. He acknowledges money, power, and respect, but is probably the most humble artist out now. I don't think you can want more from an album that is so full of quality lyrics that make you think about life and all of it's wonders...or injustices rather.
The fear lies in my lack of awareness of the other side
Today I know that we are the same
Are the same, you and I
Different kind of skin, different set of eyes
Two different minds, but only one God

You have to admit: J. Cole is the realest. "2014 Forest Hills Drive" is online and in stores NOW! Check out the stream below:

Natasha Marie

Natasha Marie
Written by Natasha Marie

Don't misplace your hate, help your fave. Tweet shade-free opinions to @iamnatashamarie.

0 comments