Open top menu
Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Taylor Swift has taken a detour from country and jumped right into the world of pop. This album displays her versatility and growth and is by far her most conservative album to date. Yet all of this is done with a certain lack of originality. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's as if Taylor said "I'm gonna do pop and I'm gonna beat you at your own game. Watch me execute your genre just like you but better." This album was solid. I can listen to it the entire way through -- no skips. And that is RARE. Lest we forget the way Ms. Swift is demolishing the charts. I think she may be coming for every artists' wig right now. Oop. 
Check out this "track-by-track" review of "1989":

1. "Welcome To New York"

I can already foresee this track joining the likes of Jay Z and Alicia Keys' "Empire State of Mind" and being overplayed and over utilized for all things New York. Congrats Taylor! Talk shows and morning shows galore! You may have been in that $22M loft for all of a day but you're officially welcome in the Concrete Jungle.
2. "Blank Space"

This is the kind of track that would make both Lana Del Rey and Miley Cyrus proud. She was for sure giving me Lorde tease. This song draws you in but makes you wary all in one. My fave on the album hands down! Taylor executed this track with a pouty exuberance that you could either love or hate. With lyrics like "Boys only want love if it's torture" and "You look like my next mistake" Taylor is staying true to some part of her country roots: tumultuous she woman man hating.
3. "Style"

The "style" of this song is from 1989 and I'm loving it! Taylor can stop the talk rapping that she's doing though. Not a fan of it.
I'm sorry too.

4. "Out Of The Woods"

PERFECTION.
5. "All You Had To Do Was Stay"

I'm really enjoying the pop side of Taylor. The instrumental is amazing and she's doing just enough to carry the song. Kudos. That busy instrumental could've easily overshadowed her vocals.
6. "Shake It Off"

This track is spunky, fun, catchy (it legits get stuck in your head for HOURS), and full of Taylor's outlandishly funny personality. I hate to admit that I love to sing along and dance to this but alas, I do. Sue me. It's hilarious with a corresponding message: FUCK THE HATERS. The video is even funnier.

7. "I Wish You Would"

Yikes! The tempo for this track is all off. The track is overpowering her. I want to like it because the lyrics are EV-VERY-FUCKING-THING! I wish you knew that I'll never forget you as long as I live/I wish you were right here, right now, it's all good/I wish you would

She had me all in my feelings like
8. "Bad Blood"

Hmmm. This track is...relatable. It's the basic bitch version of "Pills n' Potions". So if her fan base is mostly teeny boppers then yes, this is the childish version of having a trifling ass friend. It sounds good for all intensive purposes so I guess that's all that matters.

9. "Wildest Dreams"

I'm a fan of ballads so this makes me happy. It's simple and beautiful. The instrumental sounds like a beating heart. You better slayyyy TAY TAY!
10. "How You Get The Girl"

Annnnnnd we're back to partying! That was quick. I want you for worse or better/I would wait for ever and ever/Broke your heart, I'll put it back together/I would want you for ever and ever
11. "This Love"

Another ballad...YAAASSSSSSSS! And the layered vocals help Taylor's vocals not get swallowed by the simplicity of the track. Honestly, this song would've have been served better by a vocal powerhouse but it's good for what it is.

12. "I Know Places"

I just spoke on her vocal prowess, or lack thereof, and it's strongly pronounced in this track. She's timidly approaching these high notes like she's afraid of testing her range. Well...then change the key of the song. Duh.
13. "Clean"

This is definitely more her speed. Imogen Heap penned TF out of this track. Who doesn't love a multifaceted performer?

14. "Wonderland"

My general rule of thumb is if a track is on the deluxe version then it should be AMAZING. This song is just "ok". Nothing to write home about. I honestly expected so much more especially because John Mayer's "Your Body Is A Wonderland" is probably top 5 songs on Earth. Don't debate me. This is cute though. We found wonderland/You and I got lost in it/And we pretended it could last forever

15. "You R In Love"

Definitely worthy of being a bonus track. Probably my fave track next to "Blank Space". The lyrics, the melody, and the overall atmosphere is just beautiful. I'm absolutely filled with serenity.
16. "New Romantics"

This should've found a place on the album. It is completely in line with the new sound that she is going for. I love it so I'm glad it made the deluxe version. We are too busy dancing/To get knocked off our feet/Baby we're the New Romantics/The best people in life are free
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this album. Taylor is beautiful, charming, and can clearly deliver bubblegum pop princess like no other. Rest assured that if Taylor wants to take over pop...she probably can. She's already outsold all of your faves with just her first week's sales.

"1989" is online and in stores NOW!

Natasha Marie 

Natasha Marie
Written by Natasha Marie

Don't misplace your hate, help your fave. Tweet shade-free opinions to @iamnatashamarie.

0 comments