Open top menu
Sunday, November 9, 2014

Luke James, ladies and gentlemen, LUKE EFFING JAMES! I'm floored by the sheer brilliance of this album. I truly believe that after being in the presence of KING BEY touring that the glorious glitter that coats her melodic throat cast itself upon Luke and he is now a glowing disciple of Beysus. Naw, all jokes aside, this man is an icon in the making. This album gave me all the life of a Phoenix rising from the ashes and being reborn. The rebirth of good music that is.

Check out this track-by-track review of "Luke James":

1. "Love XYZ"

Luke opens this album exploring upper and lower registers then settling somewhere in betwixt. Superb.

2. "Dancing In The Dark"

His falsetto makes me melt. Like why can you do this so perfectly?!? I'm feeling mixed emotions during this track. The booming drum makes me want to dance yet his vocals are so sultry and sexy I'm all discombobulated like 


3. "Don't Do It (Interlude)"

I hate really good interludes. It just teases you. 

4. "Trouble"

This is 90s-esque with a contemporary feel. I love it. So pretty girls can be trouble, huh? I see no lies. When you get lost lovin' someone pretty (trouble trouble)/You'll always find (trouble trouble)

5. "The Run"

I fr fr thought this was a Kanye track when it started. I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised if he would've popped up growling. But then the piano comes through and I'm like YAAASSSSSSS COME THRU LUKE! 

6. "Glass House"

Throwing rocks in a glass house/Like it wasn't gon' break/Like it wasn't gon' break then I've changed/And you're the one to blame/Ever since you babe/Love don't feel the same. Bruh. Speak that truth Luke! And those falsettos! This song is so damn beautiful. I'm over here like

7. "Exit Wounds"

Without a doubt my FAVORITE song on this album! I love it so much. This is truly a MASTERPIECE. And the lyrics?!? He slapped whoever with a dose of IDGAF so fast I was like wait...what just happened?!? This ain't a heart it's just an exit wound that just won't close/My brain is scarred each time I let you through you left a hole/Stole my smile and all that I've got left of you are these exit wounds/...well FUCK YOU

8. "TimeX (Interlude)"

Perfect transitional interlude. Changes the tone of the album without making it unsettling or abrupt. I really wanted this to be a full song but not to replace anything thus far lol just add it into the mix. I also detect a sample of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time".

9. "Options (Feat. Rick Ross)"

Luke be singing his ass off. OMG. And I'm not even bothered by Rick Ross. So kudos. That's a feat. He's clearly a damn magician. I know everybody else who's featured Ross looking like 

10. "Insane/Bombing Out (Interlude)"

"Insane" isn't really Luke-ish. It sounds good though because I'm fairly certain he can do no wrong. It probably would've suited another artist but I'll keep it in my musical rotation for sure. The only thing sicker than waiting on love that never comes is waiting on love that never was. LORDT if that ain't the truth! 

He could've kept the interlude...

11. "I Want You"

I want no one on EARTH to ever try and cover this song. EVER. I Want You is utter perfection! He. Better. Dammit. Sing! The only person who could probably attempt this song is Robin Thicke. This is all Marvin Gaye, Boyz II Men, and deserves that GRAMMY nod. I think it's in the bag. 

12. "Expose"

This 80s inspired dance track is very Prince. I know he's his protege but I'm not a fan sooo I found the track that Timex could have replaced because I'm listening to this song like

13. "Make Love To Me"

Right away I'm loving the snaps in the instrumental. It takes me to a jazz club or spoken word (where Jhene Aiko belongs but that's neither here nor there) and I can see why this was a single. His vocals are EV-VERY-THING!

14. "Options (Wolfjames version)

In true magician form Luke hit this track with 
and lo and behold he has done away with Rick Ross. I'm here for this upgrade. He better killllll those runs on that bridge dammit!

15. "Stay With Me"

*wails* I can't believe he just SLEIGHED "Stay With Me" like this! His voice is PERFECT for the song. Bruhhhhh I know Sam Smith is like


This album is for sure one of my favorites of the year! I can't choose between this and Ariana Grande's "My Everything". And I love the fact that there's only one feature. That means he believes in his art and wants to stand on his talent. Kudos! If you've been sleeping on this album I suggest you purchase it NOW you won't regret it!

Natasha Marie


Natasha Marie
Written by Natasha Marie

Don't misplace your hate, help your fave. Tweet shade-free opinions to @iamnatashamarie.

0 comments