Open top menu
Sunday, March 22, 2015

Last I heard, Marsha Ambrosius was a salty ex-lover, hoping that her man’s new beau would cheat on him with a basketball player. As a follow-up to her 2011 release, "Late Nights and Early Mornings", Ms. Ambrosius seems to have finally found a boo, but she's still having trouble keeping one. This album is entitled, "Friends and Lovers", but it was certainly made for the latter. Be not mistaken, this album is for the grown and sexy.  With tracks titled, "So Good", "69", "Night Time", and "Kiss and Fuck", this is definitely the soundtrack to sexy time. And she impressively penned every song on the album. Go girl! Get those writing credits and keep your coins!
"Friends and Lovers" "Intro" sets the tone for the rest of the album. Once I heard the seatbelt buckle and the engine start, I knew I was in for a bumpy ride with the soundtrack to relationship drama blasting at full volume.

I always like to watch a few interviews of an artist’s commentary on their music, to get a feel for their inspiration behind the project and the story they’re trying to tell. I was under the impression that Marsha was going to walk me through a tale of friends turned lovers, breakups, and make ups. After listening to "So Good, Night Time", and "69", I realized this story ain't got nothing to do with friendship.

And after a while, I realized I was on autopilot and had completely zoned out.  I was like, “Did I just listen to the same song three times?!” The beginning of this story is just sex, and lots of it.  In a very hypnotizing, loopy, "Are you high right now?" type of way. And I couldn’t figure out what she was saying for the life of me, but she sounds amazing, as always.
Fast forward to "Shoes". I can’t believe I keep doing this to myself/but it’s so good./Last night we made love…/we swore it’d be the last time, but we just cant stop. Okay, now the story begins. I guess the previous three tracks were meant to be a prelude to the story. This track is straightforward, and she replaced the beautiful mumbling she was doing in the prior tracks with clear pronunciation. I get you now, Ms. Ambrosius. Your mind wasn’t right before, and now you’ve come back to earth. We’ve all been there. Kudos to her for not only telling the story lyrically, but conceptually through the musicality of the songs. I see you, girl!
I’d have to say that the intros and interludes were one of my favorite part of this album, as her acoustic vocals take the spotlight. That, and the fact that they were the only way I knew what’s going on in the story she’s trying to tell.

"Stronger", featuring Dr. Dre is a pivotal point in the album. Because after this, my friends, the album gets good.

"You and I"! Finally! This was the track I was waiting to hear! This track gives us a chance to hear her impeccable tone without all the congestion of trippy bells and synths. I don't listen to artists like Marsha to zone out, I listen to get in my feelings. THIS is the Marsha Ambrosius I love. "La La La La La", which samples Minnie Ripperton’s “Loving You", "Love, Cupid (Shot Me Straight Through My Heart)", and "Run" prove that Marsha writes her most beautiful songs when she’s in love. These songs are for the old-school Floetry fans. I'm not an emotional girl, but she had me wanting to run through fields of sunflowers with my non-existent bae. 
I’m convinced I’m a 65-year-old woman trapped in a twenty-something body, so the track "Spend All My Time" featuring Charlie Wilson was the one I was anticipating the most. Uncle Charlie never disappoints, and the mélange of his raspy granddaddy vocals with Marsha’s fluid vibrato is so good I caught myself rocking back and forth and doing the stank face like my Mama does when the sermon is good. 
"OMG I Miss You" sounds like it belongs in the beginning of the album with the freaky, sex-so-good tracks, and "Streets of London" just doesn’t fit in with any of the other songs at all. I don’t get it. She could’ve left me with Uncle Charlie and I would’ve been fine.

Parts of "Friends and Lovers" are nice to light a few candles and vibe to, but I honestly feel like most of these songs belong on different playlists. Some of the songs are for the Jhene Aiko roll up and space out crowd, some are for the Floetry lovers, and a few are for my fellow old ladies of the world. Take your pick. 

"Friends and Lovers" is available online and in stores NOW!

T. Nikki Paige

Natasha Marie
Written by Natasha Marie

Don't misplace your hate, help your fave. Tweet shade-free opinions to @iamnatashamarie.

0 comments