Open top menu
Thursday, June 18, 2015

At this point in history saying that I am FED UP is the understatement of the century. On top of that, I am EXHAUSTED. I'm exhausted because every single day of my life I am fighting a never ending battle against unprecedented fear: fear of my face, fear of my name, fear of my culture, fear of my SKIN COLOR
As a Black woman and family member to so many young, vulnerable, and targeted brown bodies, I would be remiss if I didn't inform them not to:

  1. Walk in your own neighborhood with candy and juice.
  2. Wear your hoods up on everyday sweaters even if it's raining or cold outside.
  3. Play with TOY guns in the public even if White children can play with REAL guns in the same city in public.
  4. Attend parties that you are invited to.
  5. Listen to loud music.
  6. Sleep.
  7. Walk.
  8. Breathe.
  9. Pray.
  10. Exist.
I will always be asked the unanswered question of WHY? Because no one understands. There is a war being waged on Black and Brown bodies each and every day but we're expected to suffer in silence. Don't ask us to BE CALM. Where has that gotten us thus far? The racists trolls/Uncle Toms who control the media and dole out the punishments create the most absurd and offensive narratives about us that proves that we need to do more, say more, and BE MORE for our community. Just look at this BS:
I hate to see how many "celebrities" remain silent on these issues for fear that they will lose fans or tarnish their brands. The real concern shouldn't be whether or not you lose fans it should be WHY you're losing fans? And if those are the type of "people" you want as fans to begin with? I could NEVER stand idly by and watch as my fellow Blacks are targeted and not utilize my platform to speak out against all of the injustices.
I said it in my piece about cultural appropriation [Read it: here], everybody wants to be Black until it's time to be Black. Believe you me, this is not a struggle you want to endure. In this moment, in this space, in the span of 14 days we have had (to name a few) Venue Sports Lounge in VA discriminating against Black patrons, the Mckinney Pool Debacle, the Kalief Browder murder, the Rachel Dolezal minstrel show, the Arnesha Bowers murder, complete SILENCE on the racial unrest in DR, and last but certainly not least, the Charleston Shooting. So many injustices, so many circumstances, and still no answers.
WHERE?!? I'd gladly move there. In a country where states PROUDLY fly the racist symbol that is the confederate flag both wholly and hidden within the fabric of their state flags, I feel discomfort and unease. Please save the "you can go back to Africa" nonsense because as stated in the aforementioned appropriation article no one told you to snatch us. So YOU PEOPLE, yes I said YOU PEOPLE, can please stop with your ridicule when I witness you Columbus your way through each and every day of your existence. 
To be frank, I've just been so baffled, more so as of late, as I watched how the media skated over James Boulware who shot up the Dallas PD, planted bombs under their vehicles, DARED police to shoot him, and was taken into custody alive but managed to focus solely on Rachel Dolezal, their White counterpart, and her falsely identifying as a nonexistent transracial so that she could occupy Black spaces, coveting what we have, all whilst basking in her audacious White privilege, allowing the media to once again sweep injustices such as the McKinney pool assaults and injustices under the rug as though we have forgotten that there were CITIZENS THERE TOUCHING AND FIGHTING CHILDREN!!! WHERE ARE THE ARRESTS FOR THOSE FOOLS?!? I'm not talking about paid vacations and fake resignations. I want ARRESTS, INDICTMENTS, and JUSTICE! I wake up each and every morning knowing that at this point in time I, myself, can become a hashtag. All it takes is swimming, walking, talking, breathing, and/or existing.
I say all of this to ask: what are YOU doing? As a Black person, Brown person, or Ally...WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!? We have to accept the fact that our protesting isn't enough [But in the realm of marching...please feel free to join the March on Washington on October 10, 2015. I most certainly plan to.]. We have to do more than talk and get angry. We have to DO something. Pray? Yes. But within that prayer there also has to be action. There can only be so many times that we allow the system to dismantle us as a people. 
I'm just saying...I'm not saying be violent but eventually you have to revolt to start a revolution. I'm sleep though. If you have a platform...if you blog, podcast, YouTube, etc. then use it. Even if you touch one person that's a start.

Natasha Marie


Natasha Marie
Written by Natasha Marie

Don't misplace your hate, help your fave. Tweet shade-free opinions to @iamnatashamarie.

0 comments