Open top menu
Saturday, November 15, 2014

Dear Natasha,

I just started my freshmen year of college and I hate it. I'm homesick, I miss my friends, and college just doesn't seem like it's for me. The classes are really hard and my work takes up so much time that I can barely find the time to make new friends or have any fun. It's my first time away from home and I'm thinking about either transferring or giving up altogether. Maybe college really isn't for me. I'm a first generation college student so I feel so much pressure to stay. I'm torn and I don't know what to do.

Signed,

Homesick and Hopeless

Dear Homesick and Hopeless,

Girl...don't you drop out of school! These feelings that you are overwhelmed with are growing pains. Leaving the nest is always hard but a necessity if you want to be successful in any faction of life. Take it all in stride. Give it at LEAST a year before you call it quits. And by call it quits I mean transferring to a school that's closer to home. Not dropping out. Nobody likes a quitter.
Just being real with you, nepotism is alive and well so unless you have a fancy job waiting on you then you better get that degree and put it in your back pocket for safe keeping. Looks can only get you but so far in life. So please don't be ugly AND a dummy. Go to school, read books, expand your knowledge, and prepare yourself for all walks of life. As far as your workload? College is very different from high school. You have to get into an organizational groove that works for you and everything else will fall into place. Once you start using your time wisely, your stress levels will come down, you'll start making friends, and juggling nightlife as well. College was AMAZING. After I got over the initial culture shock and fear of being on my own I really had a ball. I got good grades, I joined a ton of clubs, both professional and extracurricular, and I joined 2 sororities. I was a nerd living the life! And you can too. Just give it time. By my second semester I was like
And do NOT let the stress of being a first generation college student burden you. I'm sure your family is proud of you no matter what! It's a blessing that you've made it this far so you should be proud of yourself! No comparisons! Just choose a major that interests you and eventually you'll start having classes with the same people, forming study groups, and unbreakable bonds. Trust and believe all nighters can do that for you! My best friend and I actually met in Calculus II. Come to find out we were the only Black girls, our year, studying Biological Engineering. DON'T GIVE UP! Be a trailblazer. The most fulfilling moment in your life will be when you walk across that stage. Chhh...me and my bestie flitted across that stage like
I expect nothing short of GREATNESS from you so please keep me posted!
 
xoxo,
 
Natasha Marie


Tagged
Natasha Marie
Written by Natasha Marie

Don't misplace your hate, help your fave. Tweet shade-free opinions to @iamnatashamarie.

0 comments