Open top menu
Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Viola Davis made history this past weekend by becoming the first African American woman to ever win an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama. And though I should be ecstatic, it was long overdue. You can't convince me that in 150 years there was NO Black woman worthy. BYE. Miss me with your covert white supremacy. At any rate, her speech was inspiring. She said, and I quote, "In my mind, I see a line. And over that line I see green fields and lovely flowers, and beautiful white women with their arms stretched out to me over that line. But I can't seem to get there no how. I can't seem to get over that line." A quote from the most honorable deceased Harriet Tubman, a pioneer of her time as well. Watch the touching moment in full below:

Also nominated for the seemingly unreachable if you're a WOC category was the lovely Taraji P. Henson, who visited Ellen to speak about the bittersweet moment of losing to Davis, but the joy of having that first no longer a thing...finally! What a beautiful spirit!
I love the fact that Davis used her speech to recognize other women in the industry who have worked just as hard as she, who have paved away, and made it possible for young brown boys and girls to aspire to greatness. But...*dramatic music* you know her speech would not have been as powerful as it was without the resistance of privileged whites who feel the need to try and assuage their white guilt whilst crying their pitiful white tears. Case in point: Nancy Lee Grahn (Yes I made her name red like the white devil she is LMFAO). Now doesn't that sound like a southern ass name plagued with a racist history and white guilt?! She took her dumb ass to twitter to discuss what she felt Viola shouldn't say during her speech. She also went as far to say Viola was never discriminated against. Ma'am.
This moment IS NOT and WILL NOT become about you. Yes, you've raised the hellfire that is Black Twitter once they set their sights on a prey but NO. This moment is about Viola Davis and women who LOOK like her. Women who've had doors closed in their faces and glass ceilings placed above them time and time again. I refuse to let you take this moment of victory turn it into a tragedy. In fact, the only thing that's tragic right now are your mentions and your reputation. Straight like that. I'm pretty sure Viola was reading twitter like 
Speaking of Viola Davis? I salute you Black Queen, may your everlasting melanin, now and forevermore, reign supreme. #BlackGirlsRock

Congrats to the other winners as well, namely Regina King and Uzo Aduba. I'm inspired each and every day by your accomplishments.


Natasha Marie


Natasha Marie
Written by Natasha Marie

Don't misplace your hate, help your fave. Tweet shade-free opinions to @iamnatashamarie.

0 comments